About University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
A leader in the field of Agricultural Education, the University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad (UASD) is among India's most respected names in Agricultural Education, Research and Extension. An ICAR accredited (grade A) University, UAS, Dharwad offers quality Under Graduate, Post Graduate and Diploma programs with constantly updated syllabi to meet the ever expanding needs of the various stake holders. The University has 5 Colleges, 30 Research Stations, 6 Extension Education Units, 6 Krishi Vigyan Kendra and an ATIC.
The University has jurisdiction over 7 districts of North Karnataka accounting for 28% of geographical area, 27% of total cultivated area and 14% of the irrigated area in the state. Great diversity in soil types, climate, topography and farming situations ranging from dry-farming, heavy rainfall and irrigated areas provides for diverse research opportunities. Important crops of the region include sorghum, cotton, rice, pulses, chilli, sugarcane, groundnut, sunflower, wheat, safflower etc., apart from an array of horticultural crops.
The Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna (RKVY) is an important scheme of the Government of India, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare (MoA&FW), aimed at strengthening infrastructure in agriculture and allied areas In order to promote Agri-preneurship and Agribusiness by providing financial support and nurturing the incubation ecosystem, a new component under the revamped scheme RKVY-RAFTAAR has been launched in 2018-19.
RKVY-RAFTAAR supports agribusiness incubation by tapping innovations and technologies for venture creation in agriculture. In this process, incubation facilities and expertise already available with participating academic, technical, management and R&D institutions in the country shall be utilized on an individual or collective basis to harness synergies. The existing institutional agribusiness incubators would be strengthened on a need basis by providing grants-in-aid.
“Remunerative Approaches for Agriculture and Allied Sector Rejuvenation (RAFTAAR)” a component of Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) for innovation and agri-entrepreneurship development was launched in 2017-18. An initiative of the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Government of India, the scheme is structured to promote innovation and entrepreneurship through establishment of new RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators (R-ABIs) and strengthening existing agribusiness incubators with infrastructure, equipment and manpower.
These R-ABIs will in turn invite applications from Agripreneurs in different stages of the business life cycle (ideation/expansion) and provide them an opportunity to generate innovations in agriculture and allied sector.
KRISHIK - Agri-Business Incubator
Focusing on youth to drive the future ready agriculture innovation ecosystems
Agriculture continues to be the mainstay of the economy with more than 70 percent of the rural population and 50% of total work force dependent on it for livelihood.
While agri startups in India have made a head way, the Agri-startup boom is yet to proliferate in the Northern Karnataka. The area is blessed with the bounty of nature and the region is largely rural, with myriad agricultural and allied production dominating the agri landscape. Despite several development schemes being launched by the government, largely focusing on the farm and rural sector in the area, there remains a gap.
01 Some of the positive implications
- Encouraging more buying and selling within the rural boundary.
- Contractual buying and contractual farming within the aegis of the boundary.
- Assured market for farm products which will in turn encourage local rural economy.
- Concurrent migration of people from rural to urban areas.
- Provide boost to the local village economy by eradicating the problem of uncertainty in farmers as well as the rural economy.
02 The key components of Innovation &
Entrepreneurship Cell under RKVY-RAFTAAR:
- Strengthening of existing agribusiness incubators for integrated rejuvenation and development and setting up new ones – R-ABI (RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators).
- Seed Stage Funding of R-ABI Incubatees.
- Agripreneurship Orientation
- Idea/Pre-Seed Stage Funding of Agripreneurs
Objectives of RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators (R-ABI)
- To achieve ''Lab to land'' by dissemination of new technology /varieties to farmers through promoting a culture of Agri startups
- To promote innovation, entrepreneurship and business creation in agriculture and allied sector by skill development, capacity building and technology scale up;
- To create employment opportunities for youth in agriculture in the rural vicinity;
- To promote an integrated approach for technology acquisition, R&D, commercial technology transfer and knowledge dissemination;
- To facilitate evolution of an Agri-startup ecosystem by support for cost effective, value added services including technical, legal, financial, intellectual property and regulatory compliance related services to Agripreneurs;
- To build a vibrant Agri-startup ecosystem, by establishing a network between academia, financial institutions, industries and other related institutions;
- Capacity building of existing Agri-business incubators as R-ABIs to achieve related objectives;
- To generate/provide innovative solution to meet local and global agriculture and business challenges, and competitiveness.
175 Startups Incubated
69 Startups Received Financial Support
300+ Jobs Created
90+ Startups Events
Operating structure Innovation & Entrepreneurship Cell under RKVY-RAFTAAR:
As a first step, a R-ABI (existing/new) will strengthen itself with need-based infrastructure, equipment and man power support to implement different components. Thereafter, the R-ABI will execute and monitor various activities covered under these components.
- Selected RKVY-RAFTAAR interns after successful completion of training cum internship will be provided idea/pre-seed stage seed money as 90 percent grant up to a maximum of Rs. 5 lakhs through R-ABIs to convert their idea/proof of concept into prototype/ product.
- Selected RKVY-RAFTAAR incubatees will be provided incubation and seed stage money as 85 percent grant up to a maximum of Rs. 25 lakhs through R-ABIs for product development/improvement, administrative and market research in the early stages of a start-up.
Agricultural Supply Chain
Post Harvest & Food Technology
IoT, ICT and AI in Agriculture
Natural Resource Management
Animal Husbandry, Dairying
Agri-Input tools and technologies
Agri Ext Education
Waste to Wealth, Secondary Agriculture
Agri Clinics & Farm Health services
Krishik is a one stop solution that provides a long-term opportunity for entrepreneurs looking to launch innovative products or services through their startups.
We offer a pool of technology, management and strategic consultants that assist the startups in formulating business, marketing and financial plans.
Krishik offers mentoring to startups Incubated from top-level entrepreneurs, investors, technologists and consultants from different segments.
Startup teams selected in the Incubation program will spend many hours with our mentors. You need to be ready to work with them every day, listen to their experience and incorporate their insights and feedback, asking valuable questions. They can become your connectors, advisers, angels, customers and friends.
A. S. Vastrad, Ph. D.
Principal Investigator & CEO
KRISHIK – Agri Business Incubator
University of Agricultural Sciences,
Dharwad -580005 (Karnataka)